Wisdom cries aloud in the streets

I am all about learning new things, some from self help books, some info I gather from friends, family, pediatritians, my naturepath or my chyropractor. Most of the areas I'm interested in pertain to my relationship with Jesus, having a stronger marriage, and raising children. Here's my list of things or books I've found helpful to me.

A couple of books that have made a huge impact on my life...

Supernatural Power of a transformed Mind by Bill Johnson. This book transformed my view of God and allowed Him to be seen as a God who's desire is to always heal.

Mommy Diagnostics by Shondra Parker. This is the first book I've ever read that gives explanations of each childhood vaccine. Reasons why people choose to vaccinate and reasons why people choose not to. She gives pro's and con's and lets parents make educated decisions. It is also chalked full of info on treating childhood illnesses.

I learned that dairy products need to be avoided after a child has a round of vomiting because it can agitate their stomach and cause them to vomit more. (this of course was read after I had a 18mo child vomit after each bottle I gave).

She also writes about the things mothers should work towards acquiring in their medicine cubbard. My newest is an Otoscope. This is so helpful to determine if a child has an ear ache or an ear infection, and document the child's symptoms before heading into a dr appt. just to tell you that the child is fine.

Another book is The Proper Care and Feeding of husbands by Laura Schlessinger.
Wow. She really says it like it is with no excuses. It was an insightful look into my own selfishness in my marriage.

Sheet music by Dr. Kevin Leman. This was another great book for my marriage. He talked candidly about many topics in a marriage in a light hearted manner and I appreciated his openness.

Beyond books, I'd have to say most of the information I've gleaned regarding the health of my children has been my chiropractor. Dr. Rodney Shirk. Just recently, Jesse came down with an awful cold. Sinus drainage, cough etc. Then one night he woke to an ear ache. At least that was my best guess. And he wouldn't let me look in his ear. He was fitful; wouldn't let me hold him, tossed and rolled across the bedroom floor. I finally broke out the children's Tylenol. The next morning, I got him an appointment with my chryro. (who has also been named by pediatrician, GP, and OB). : )
By this time Jesse had another dose of Tylenol to make the 1 hour trip to Eugene. He continually rested his head on his hand, of the irritated ear. When we arrived, the Dr. used one of those 25lbs of pressure devises, that is often used for children(which by the way doesn't hurt). Immediately I had a different child.

So, the diagnosis? The mucus drainage, wasn't draining properly. His neck was out of alignment causing a pinching of the eusation tubes (I have no idea if I spelled that right). This builds up pressure and results in an ear ache. So we headed home.

That night, the aches began again around 6pm. I called the Chryo, and he reminded me of the tonsil massage. Which can also clear the eusation tubes. To do this you put your pointer finger into the back of their mouth, and give a quick swipe downward on each of the tonsils. This pushes the mucus out of the tonsils and allows them to drain. (It is amazing how well this works, the chryo did this on me after my ears were plugged from a cold and a plane ride, It was a wonderful sensation to have my ears open up).

But how do you get a nearly 2 year old to let you gag him? The answer? Don't medicate him. When he's crying in pain his mouth is wide open. Oooops. It was too late for me. I'd already medicated him with Tylenol and he seemed to forget his ear pain. But it started back up in the early morning. I tried the tonsil massage, but being inexperienced, I didn't know if I was doing it right. So we made another appointment to see Dr. Shirk. He was able to swipe the tonsils and reminded me that Jesse needs to be off ALL dairy until this clears. Dairy causes mucus to build up. WOW...what an ordeal, but no more pain meds, and no unnecessary anti-biotics and I have a boy who is recovering well.

So...yep. Wisdom cries aloud in the streets Proverbs says. I love hearing blogs tell about little bits of wisdom women have gained that I can apply to my life. I hope reading this blog helps someone else.

Comments

  1. Donaca...I would love to borrow some of these books if you have them to loan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts