Chicken Soup for the Cold


I love soup. Yummy wonderful, comfort food soups. It seems that something so simple to create has been lost to most people in our society of fast food, and already prepared meals. It was lost to me too. Until recently. Although my mom and dad make wonderful soups, I never learned how. So, I'm on a quest to pass it on, because I love them, because they are soooo easy, and because friends have asked for recipes that I could never re-create.


1. Start by making your own soup stock. Either chicken or beef. It's souper easy and it makes a huge difference in the depth of flavor of your soup. (if you haven't the time, or you don't have any prepared keep canned chicken broth on hand to use in a pinch)

How? The biggest key, is in the bones. These ugly left overs contain wonderful gelatin, that is awesome in soup. Ever had gravy or home made soup jell up over night in the fridge. It's because it was made with the bones. So take those leftover bones from your roasted chicken or beef and toss them in a big pot of water. Add some onion and carrot, and simmer all day. This gelatin is what chicken soup is famous for, and why it was always used as remedies for colds.

Extras: I use the ends of onions, toss them in the freezer and when I'm ready to make stock I pop them in the pot. The other day I took a chuck roast and had to cut the bone out of it to fit it in the crock pot. I saved the bone in the freezer to make stock out of it another day.

After the stock is finished, let it sit in the fridge over night. The fat collects on the surface and you can scrape it off. Then pour it into a Gallon or Quart size freezer bag to freeze for easy use when you're ready.

2. Make your soup.

How? I always like to start off by sauteing onions and carrots in a little oil. This really adds flavor.

The great thing about soup, is you can pretty much include anything besides dairy or breads.
Any meats, multiple kinds of meat. Any veggies, rice, potatoes, pasta and the really cool thing is any leftovers from dinners on other nights. Spaghetti, roasts, chicken, legumes, rice dishes and don't forget the left over gravies and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes help thicken your soup with lots of flavor.

For instance, some of the best soup I've ever had was made when we went camping with family two years ago. We had leftover raw teriyaki chicken with pineapple, leftover hamburger meat, green beans, kidney beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup and I can't remember all else.

It was Sooooooo good. Every really good soup I've made is usually because I can't remember what I put in it, or because I used leftovers and it was a creation of it's own.

We go up in the snow every January with our middle school group and tell every one to bring leftovers or cans of soup or veggies. We throw it all in the pot and it just blends. It's wonderful. We've had beef stroganoff with a sausage and pasta dish, added veggies and chicken broth. Even ramen noodles. You really can't mess this up unless it is dairy or bread you add.

So be bold. And take the leftover's from the week. Throw them in a pot with soup stock and viola. I bet you've made some awesome soup!

Comments

Popular Posts